With increasing cases of respiratory disease, including COVID-19, this winter, it is imperative to encourage residents, staff, and family members to receive the updated (bivalent) COVID-19 boosters.
- Adults ages 65 years and older:
- Continue to have the highest COVID-19-related mortality rates.
- The COVID-19-related death rate among unvaccinated people who are 65 years and older has consistently been higher than the rate among vaccinated people.
- Adults ages 85 years and older:
- Remain at particularly high risk of dying of COVID-19.
- The proportion of COVID-19–related deaths accounted for by adults in this age group increasing during April–September 2022 from 28% to around 40% of COVID-19–related deaths.