Thanks to one of our alert Gero Nurse Prep students for reminding us of the importance of this pending regulation.
To get the Fast Facts on the implications of this unfunded mandate, go here:
AHCA/NCAL has set a goal of submitting more than 10,000 comments on this proposed rule between now and November 6th. To make your voice heard, go to:
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recently announced the start of the SNF (skilled nursing facility) 5-Claim Probe & Educate Review program. As part of the effort to lower the SNF improper payment rate, Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) will be reviewing a small number of claims from every Medicare-billing SNF in the country. The SNF will then be offered education to address any errors identified, helping them to avoid future claim denials and adjustments.
With increasing cases of respiratory disease, including COVID-19, this winter, it is imperative to encourage residents, staff, and family members to receive the updated (bivalent) COVID-19 boosters.
- Adults ages 65 years and older:
- Continue to have the highest COVID-19-related mortality rates.
- The COVID-19-related death rate among unvaccinated people who are 65 years and older has consistently been higher than the rate among vaccinated people.
- Adults ages 85 years and older:
- Remain at particularly high risk of dying of COVID-19.
- The proportion of COVID-19–related deaths accounted for by adults in this age group increasing during April–September 2022 from 28% to around 40% of COVID-19–related deaths.
CMS began surveying against Phase 3 of Requirements of Participation for Nursing Homes on October 24, 2022. With 180 pages of guidance, revisions, and updates affecting 52 F-tags, many providers are feeling anxious about compliance with the new guidance.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released a revised Special Focus Facility (SFF) Program policy memo QS0-23-01-NH and updated the monthly SFF posting. These revisions are meant to increase the requirements for completion of the program and enforcement for facilities that do not demonstrate improvement.
- Weekend Staffing: The level of total nurse (RN, LPN & CNA) and registered nurse (RN) staffing on weekends provided by each nursing home over a quarter. This will be reported as average hours worked per resident per day on weekends.
- Staff Turnover:
- The percent of RN staff that left the facility over the last year.
- The percent of total nurse staff that have left the facility over the last year.
- The number of administrators that have left the facility over the last year.
Find out more at https://bit.ly/3Ai2VLo