A new report released today by the American Health Care Association/National Center for Assisted Living (AHCA/NCAL) shows skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) experiencing an “alarming spike” in COVID-19 cases due to community spread among the general population. The findings are based on recent data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
Post Pandemic Litigation For Skilled Care And Assisted Living Facilities has already begun. Find out what facilities should do to protect themselves.
As the pandemic sweeps the nation, providers accelerate their telehealth plans.
AHCA/NCAL President & CEO Mark Parkinson provides an update on the Association’s efforts to tell the story of their residents and caregivers who have been battling COVID-19.
Care providers can take action to make hospital and emergency room transfers safer for residents during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a group of eldercare experts.
These experts have published a comprehensive guideline on safe and effective transitions that includes the following checklist points (summarized):
- Medically stable patients who are appropriately isolated should not be transferred to the emergency department. Multidisciplinary teamwork can support providing care in place.
- Address advance care planning with every patient and family in the context of COVID-19.
- Carefully weigh the risks and benefits of transferring residents with a febrile respiratory illness to an emergency department. This includes an evaluation of the patient’s current state of health, patient-centered goals, and an assessment of prognosis in the context of COVID-19 illness.
- Consider “forward triage” when considering patients for care transitions. This involves assessing the resident’s level of acuity. This should involve a conversation with the receiving emergency department physician.
- Warm hand-offs are critical. Nursing home and emergency department providers need to communicate prior to a transfer and as medical decisions are being made, including the ability of the nursing home to safely accept a returning resident.
Read the full article at https://www.mcknights.com/news/clinical-news/making-hospital-transitions-safer-during-the-pandemic/
This video demonstrates potential approaches for donning and doffing of an N95 filtering facepiece respirator in a Limited Reuse situation. This video was developed based on the CDC guidelines for NIOSH approved N95 respirators.
The Proof is in the Outcomes: RNs Trained in Gerontological Nursing Get Better Results!
Research conducted by AHCA/NCAL in 2019 shows that SNFs that employ at least one American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Board certified RN experienced:
- Higher average SNF VBP Performance Scores (44.2 versus 34.4 national average)
- Fewer survey deficiencies
- Fewer IJ citations
- Lower rehospitalization rates
- Lower rates of off-label use of antipsychotics
- Higher CMS 5-Star rating
Find out more at https://bit.ly/2VJRbin
Register between now and April 30th using the promo code 2020RN (case sensitive) and save $100 off each enrollment. Lock in this special price by enrolling now and taking up to 60 days to pay! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.